A man has been charged with terrorism over an alleged plot targeting a Taylor Swift concert in Vienna, according to Austrian authorities, who announced formal charges earlier this week.
Public prosecutors in Vienna confirmed on Monday (Feb. 16) that a 21-year-old suspect is facing terrorism-related accusations in connection with what officials describe as a planned attack on one of Taylor Swift’s scheduled performances in Vienna in August 2024.
Alleged Extremist Ties and Online Activity
In a statement, Vienna’s public prosecutor’s office said the unnamed defendant had pledged allegiance to the extremist group known as the Islamic State. Authorities allege he circulated propaganda materials and related videos through various messaging platforms.
Investigators further claim the suspect searched online for detailed instructions on how to build a shrapnel bomb using triacetone triperoxide (TATP), an explosive substance frequently associated with terrorist attacks. Prosecutors allege that he successfully produced a small quantity of the material.
Attempts to Acquire Weapons
According to prosecutors, the accused also made multiple attempts to illegally obtain weapons from outside Austria and transport them into the country. Officials say these efforts were part of preparations for the alleged attack.
The case is expected to move forward in Wiener Neustadt, a city located south of Vienna, where criminal proceedings are set to take place. Authorities have confirmed that the suspect remains in custody. Austrian media outlets have identified him as Beran A., reporting that he was arrested in August 2024.
Concerts Canceled After Plot Disrupted
The charges stem from a broader security operation last summer, when Austrian officials announced they had thwarted a potential attack targeting three planned Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna. Following the discovery of the alleged plot, authorities canceled the shows as a precautionary measure.
International cooperation played a role in the decision. U.S. intelligence reportedly contributed information that helped Austrian officials assess and disrupt the threat.
At the time, John Kirby, then serving as a White House national security spokesperson, emphasized Washington’s commitment to counterterrorism efforts.
“The United States has an enduring focus on our counterterrorism mission. We work closely with partners all over the world to monitor and disrupt threats,” Kirby said in August 2024. He confirmed that U.S. officials had shared intelligence with Austrian counterparts to help prevent a possible attack on the concerts in Vienna.
As the legal process unfolds, Austrian authorities continue to stress the importance of international collaboration in identifying and preventing potential security threats.


